Why The DBQ Project?
Why Social Studies Supervisors like The DBQ Project
• Our DBQs address Common Core State Standards in Language, Reading, Writing, and Speaking.
- Students analyze primary and secondary sources.
- Students identify point of view and assess its importance as they weigh evidence.
- Students wrestle with conflicting perspectives and look for ways in which
different documents support claims.
- Students draw inferences.
- Students use factual evidence to write evidence-based, argument essays.
• Our materials help districts build scope and sequence across grade levels because DBQ Project
materials work with students grades 3-12.
• Teachers can differentiate their instruction while maintaining rigor for all students.
• DBQ Project professional development workshops are the best in the business.
• Many teachers and districts are finding that The DBQ Project improves writing and reading scores.
Why Students like The DBQ Project
• Our questions are interesting.
• Our background essays and documents are engaging and understandable.
• Our units go beyond engagement and require analytical reasoning, and students like the challenge.
There is nothing like success in an authentic, demanding task. As Thomas Paine said, "What we obtain to cheap, we esteem too lightly."
• Our questions demand that students take and defend a position.
Why Teachers like The DBQ Project
• Our DBQs help teachers differentiate their instruction because they are written at two levels.
• We provide content notes and teaching tips that help teachers feel confident and knowledgeable.
• We offer a variety of questions across the Social Studies content areas.
• We offer workshops to help teachers learn how to teach with The DBQ Project Method. We are also honest when talking about issues like paper load, content vs. coverage, and struggling readers handling difficult texts.